Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Savior on Capital Hill?

Ahh the political season is NOW! We are in the midst of all the drama, the rhetoric, the spin, the promises, the faults of each candidate, and the hopes and dreams of what will be. I admit, I get excited about the future of our country. I admit, I have ideas of what a candidate should represent. I admit, I have a soap box that I want a candidate to stand on with me. I admit, I have visions of new beginnings! But what I need to remember is that the candidate who will be placing their hand on that sacred Bible on Inauguration Day will NOT be the one who wrote IT! He/she will NOT be able to convict the world of sin and righteousness, nor will he/she be able to atone for the corruption that is on capital hill... and especially my own heart.
And neither will the next president do this for you! But I am afraid we believe that the President of the United States has the ability to bring the Kingdom of Christ to completion. We think in our hearts, "If only the next president will overturn Roe Vs. Wade!" or "If only the next president will be a true Christian!" or "If only a democrat does not get into the oval office!" THEN our country will be saved.
This is wishful thinking I'm afraid. We will NEVER have a Savior on Capital Hill. Just think back to the disciples. They wanted a Capital Hill Savior too. But Christ said very clearly (& publicly I might add) , "My kingdom is not of this world" John 18:36. Likewise the kingdom is not the USA. Nor should we expect it to be.
Does this mean that we should distance ourselves from the issues? Should we cease from voicing our views on politics? Should we just forget politics all together? I am pretty sure the answer is no. These issues are very important. These issues do affect us and they will impact your life. What I think we should do is have a little perspective. Know that the next President will not fulfill the Kingdom of ________ <-- your name here. But rather the next President needs a Savior too. The next President will let you down. The next President will not bring your dreams to fruition. Only Christ can bring this about.
So watch the debates, read about the candidates and their positions, research their voting records, and be involved, but know that the candidate you support will never be the Savior on Capital Hill.

Below are lyrics from a Christian artist about this very thing.

I’m so tired of these mortal men
with their hands on their wallets and their hearts full of sin
scared of their enemies, scared of their friends
and always running for re-election
so come to DC if it be thy will
because we’ve never had a savior on Capitol Hill

you can always trust the devil or a politician
to be the devil or a politician
but beyond that friends you’d best beware
‘cause at the Pentagon bar they’re an inseparable pair
and as long as the lobbyists are paying their bills
we’ll never have a savior on Capitol Hill

all of our problems gonna disappear
when we can whisper right in that President’s ear
he could walk right across the reflection pool
in his combat boots and ten thousand dollar suit

you can render unto Caesar everything that’s his
you can trust in his power to come to your defense
it’s the way of the world, the way of the gun
it’s the trading of an evil for a lesser one
so don’t hold your breath or your vote until
you think you’ve finally found a savior up on Capitol Hill

Derek Webb

No comments: