Monday, February 11, 2008

My body hurts... but you should see the slope!

This past weekend we took our bodies up the slopes only to allow our bodies to be exposed to the hard ground. There were times when I felt like I was traveling 45 mph and when I hit the ground it confirmed my speed. Nonetheless, the ski trip was a blast. No injuries and everyone seemed to have a great weekend. But there is a price to pay for a trip like this.
You see I am almost 30 and my body is no longer going up the lift in ability, but rather coming down off the mountain of youth. It really seems like my body is wasting away in stamina, speed, and ability. I am certainly not over the hill, but I am learning how this body is not what it used to be.

The apostle Paul was also very aware of his body and the decaying results of sin. "So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day." As a believer, this should become more evident each and every day. Our sanctification is rooted in the upward climb of godliness. As we consider the pages of Scripture daily we will become aware of that our lives need to change. As we walk with the Spirit each day, we will see genuine change in our lives. We long to be more like Christ and long to serve Him in every aspect of our broken lives. The inward man is being renewed day by day. What a comfort! Our inward man is being changed.

I think back 10 years ago when my life changed for the Lord and I see that I was in desperate need of an extreme makeover: sanctification edition! I was a mess. I served the flesh and the things of the Lord didn't concern me. I praise the Lord for the changes He has made in these 10 years, but I step back today and see there is much more to change. But there is a contrast to all of this. At 19 my body was at it's best. I wasn't phased by a 2 hour basketball game, I could pull all nighters without any problem, and I could ski all day and bounce back the next day. Today, my body is not what it used to be. I am wasting away. And things are only getting worse.

There will be a day that my body gives up and will not recover. There is an end to this flesh here on earth. I will join the rest of those 6 feet under. But one thing is for certain... my inward man will be at his strongest. As my outward man is wasting away, my inward man is growing stronger and stronger. He longs to be like Christ and longs to serve Him in ALL aspects of his life.

Is this happening to you? Do you find your inward man changing? Is he longing to be conformed to the Scriptures? All saints of the Lord will change. All saints of the Lord will have this contrast... the body is weak, but the Spirit is willing. Change today for the Lord. Search deep at the core of your being and see the sanctifying change that your inward man is longing for!

Finally, do not lose hope on this outward man either. He will be renewed as well. This past week I attended a funeral. While the body was placed in the ground, I was aware that while death had come to the body, the spirit lives. And one day, the body will be renewed gloriously. Christ will come back and will bring all those saintly bodies to glory and restore
EVERY
SINGLE
ONE OF THEM!

Do not lose hope dear Christian... for as your body wastes away, the inward man is being renewed. Praise be to God who delivers us, strengthens us, renews us, and changes us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know i am not very old (yet) but i can see the changes in the inward me. I am a lot stronger girl than i used to be and i know it is all because of God! It makes me super excited to see what he has in store for me (not so much the physical aging)